Macrobiome Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing next-generation biologics for treating disorders that result from a dysfunctional immune system. At Macrobiome Therapeutics our drug discovery ethos is underpinned by millennia of host-parasite co-evolution. Parasitic worms have evolved to survive in their vertebrate hosts while causing minimal pathology, a relationship that has been fine tuned for millions of years. We are harnessing the therapeutic potential of parasites to develop the next generation of biologics inspired by nature.
1. Harnessing helminth-driven immunoregulation in the search for novel therapeutic modalities. Ryan SM, Eichenberger RM, Ruscher R, Giacomin PR, Loukas A.PLoS Pathog. 2020 May 14;16(5):e1008508. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1008508. eCollection 2020 May. PMID: 32407385
2. Safety and tolerability of experimental hookworm infection in humans with metabolic disease: study protocol for a phase 1b randomised controlled clinical trial. Pierce D, Merone L, Lewis C, Rahman T, Croese J, Loukas A, McDonald M, Giacomin P, McDermott R. BMC Endocr Disord. 2019 Dec 11;19(1):136. doi: 10.1186/s12902-019-0461-5. PMID: 31829172
3. Suppression of inflammation and tissue damage by a hookworm recombinant protein in experimental colitis. Ferreira IB, Pickering DA, Troy S, Croese J, Loukas A, Navarro S. Clin Transl Immunology. 2017 Oct 6;6(10):e157. doi: 10.1038/cti.2017.42. eCollection 2017 Oct. PMID: 29114386
4. Hookworm recombinant protein promotes regulatory T cell responses that suppress experimental asthma. Navarro S, Pickering DA, Ferreira IB, Jones L, Ryan S, Troy S, Leech A, Hotez PJ, Zhan B, Laha T, Prentice R, Sparwasser T, Croese J, Engwerda CR, Upham JW, Julia V, Giacomin PR, Loukas A. Sci Transl Med. 2016 Oct 26;8(362):362ra143. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aaf8807. PMID: 27797959
5. Experimental hookworm infection and gluten microchallenge promote tolerance in celiac disease. Croese J, Giacomin P, Navarro S, Clouston A, McCann L, Dougall A, Ferreira I, Susianto A, O'Rourke P, Howlett M, McCarthy J, Engwerda C, Jones D, Loukas A. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Feb;135(2):508-16. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2014.07.022. Epub 2014 Sep 20. PMID: 25248819
Dr. Paul Giacomin's Ted X Talk "Worming Your Way To Good Health" https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5DcdZbnGA